- 1 cup of Quinoa
- 1 Broccoli head, cut into trees
- Pesto (see below for recipe)
- 1/4 cup Walnuts,
- crushed 1/2 handful Basil, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1 Garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Toasted pine nuts
- 100ml Olive oil
1.In a medium bowl add the quinoa along with 1 3/4 cup of water. Bring to the boil and turn heat to a simmer for 10-12 minutes or unto quinoa opens.
2. Place half the broccoli into small bowl. Boil water in a kettle and pour into the bowl and cover for 2-3 minutes.
3. In a small frypan dry roast the pine nuts on high heat for 1-2 minute to get a nice colour, remove and set aside.
4. In a food processor add the pine nuts, garlic, basil, Parmesan, salt (or pre-made pesto) and half the broccoli. Pulse and gradually add the olive oil. Do not process for too long as you still want a bit of texture. Spoon broccoli-pesto into a bowl and squeeze over the lemon juice before mixing through.
5. Turn quinoa saucepan upside down and allow to freely pour out. If it is struggling come out, be gentle and use a spoon to release. You don’t want to mix the quinoa too much otherwise it will bruise and become stodgy.
6. This next part is up to you, spoon in 2 tbsp of the pesto mix and using a plastic spatula or spoon gently fold the mix through. The amount of flavour of the pesto is down to how much you want. I like a total of 2 1/2 tbs plus a pinch of salt, then the rest of the pesto can be used for other meals.
7. Once combined and tasting to your liking, spoon the mix onto a platter or serving plate and top with remaining broccoli, walnuts and a good squeeze of lemon to finish.